Telephone : (01506) 840225
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Address : Lilypond Crafts & Gifts, 25 High Street, Linlithgow. EH9 7AB
Sat Nav: EH49 7AB
We are located only a few metres away from Linlithgow Rail Station. Rail services run regularly between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh even on Sundays.
You can book and check train times via Trainline (we are not affliliated to Trainline)
The number 38/X38 Bus service runs between Stirling and Edinburgh with an approximate 15 min service Monday to Friday.
The First Bus stops on the High Street near the station if coming from the Edinburgh direction and close to Linlithgow Cross (nr Palace) from the Stirling direction, and is only a few metres from our shop.
You can follow the A803 into Linlithgow or why not enjoy a fabulous ride along the Union Canal which runs from Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk and the Falkirk Wheel.
By Car / Motorbike
Directions from Edinburgh
Follow M9 towards Glasgow / Kincardine
At Juction 3 leave the motorway and follow the A803
Follow A803 passed the Tesco supermarket and at the roundabout take the 2nd exit
We are located approximately 200 yards on the left from the roundabout
Direction from Glasgow
Follow M8, M80, M876 onto M9 Edinburgh
At Junction 4 leave motorway and take the 3rd exit A803 to Linlithgow
Continue through Linlithgow Bridge and Linlithgow town centre
We are located near the Railway Station on the right beyond the Cross at Linlithgow Palace
Links will open a new tab within your browser
Local WeatherLINLITHGOW WEATHER
Linlithgow gained its royal status as a burgh in 1388 under a charter from Robert II of Scotland. Linlithgow developed in the Middle Ages as a royal residence for Scottish Kings on the raised hill beside the Loch, as the site was a logical stop between Edinburgh to the east and Stirling to the West. Linlithgow Palace remains the chief historic attraction of the town. The present palace was started (on an older site) in 1424 by James I of Scotland. It was attacked by Oliver Cromwell in 1650 and later burnt in 1746, and, whilst unroofed, it is still largely complete in terms of its apartments, though very few of the original furnishings survived. The palace was the birthplace of James V and Mary, Queen of Scots, and has been described as Scotland’s finest surviving late medieval secular building. In the courtyard of the Palace, an elaborately carved hexagonal fountain and well survives.
Besides the palace, a second attraction, standing adjacent, is the primarily 15th century construction of St. Michael’s Church. Its western tower originally had a distinctive stone crown spire, of the type seen also on St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, and Newcastle Cathedral, but it was damaged in a storm in 1768 then removed in 1821. In 1964 a controversial replacement spire in aluminium in a modern style by Geoffrey Clarke, representing Christ’s crown of thorns, was added to the tower. The church was used in the early 17th century as host for the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland and one of the national covenants was signed within.
The first murder using a firearm in Scotland took place in the High Street of the town on 23 January 1570 when James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray was assassinated by James Hamilton of Bothwellhaugh, a supporter of Queen Mary. As Moray was passing in a cavalcade in the main street below, Hamilton fatally wounded him with a carbine shot from a window of his uncle Archbishop Hamilton’s house.
Linlithgow was also the site of the Battle of Linlithgow Bridge at the western edge of the town. The bridge no longer stands. The roadway to Linlithgow over the River Avon is described by scholars as a lifted road.
By 1799, Linlithgow was described as a large town with about 2300 inhabitants, whose primary industries included the tanning of leather, refining cotton cloth, the making of Tambour lace and Stockings, and shoemaking, as well as acting as a market town for the surrounding agriculture. From the 17th until the late 19th century, the two largest industries in Linlithgow were leathermaking and shoemaking.
Courtesy of Wikipedia